Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Book Jumper by Mechthild Glaser

The Book Jumper
by Mechthild Glaser
Published by Feiwel & Friends
371 Pages

Plot: When Amy Lennox visits her grandmother on an old ancestral estate in Scotland, she finds out that she is a Book Jumper - just like her mother.  And she is not the only one.  Betsy and Will are book jumpers that live on the island of Stormsay too.  And just like their ancestors, they have been helping to keep the book world safe for years. So, when a classic book character is murdered and ‘fundamental ideas’ start missing from some of Amy’s beloved books, it’s up to her and Will to find and stop the person responsible before the book worlds are destroyed forever.  

Review:  Let me start off by saying that this hardback cover edition is just beautiful. That was the first thing that caught my attention, and then of course the title!  I think I had different expectations for this book when I first started reading.  I originally thought it was more of a romance, but that really didn’t start until the latter end of the book.  So, for me It was a little slow to start and I found myself speed reading through several parts of the book. I think it was a good story overall, but I would have been more intrigued if Amy had jumped into more interesting books.  I was disappointed when the first books Amy jumped into were The Jungle Book and Oliver Twist. I was thinking a teenage girl would probably be jumping into fairy tales.  Or, at least I was kind of hoping she would.  She did jump into Pride and Prejudice, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz, which are much more interesting in my opinion -but her visits seemed brief. The story line did pick up towards the end as Amy and Will find out more in their quest to catch the thief.  Great plot twist towards the end which had me glued to the book until I finished.  So, overall it was a good read if you are not looking for a heavy romance themed story, but love a good mystery and enjoy classic literature. Recommended for ages 13 and up.

*Recieved a DRC for an honest review.
Rating: 3.5 Hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment